Friday, May 30, 2008

Stressed about this weekend

Yes, these posts are going to be within minutes of each other. When I'm not obsessing about my cycle, I'm worrying about weight loss. So I just have to get some other thoughts off my chest.

We're headed to the ILs this weekend, who have no idea what "eating healthy" is. It's obnoxious. They think only eating 4 handfuls of peanut M&Ms, rather than 6, is healthy. And yes, for them, that would be an improvement. However, for me, that doesn't help. So I plan. As I've always heard:

Failure to plan is planning to fail

I'm taking gallon-sized baggies of veggies with me so that when they start eating cookies and cakes and things, I can still munch, but on healthy things. I took veggies to my Book Club last night for the same purpose (these are actually leftovers from that). I'll be armed with my cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots.

But it doesn't stop with snacks. It seems every time we go there, we have Wilson's (hamburgers--NO healthy options), Jac and Do's (pizza), or New Riegel (BBQ--with sauce I don't like) for dinner. DH was eating some New Riegel leftovers the other night that his brother had given him and asked me something about eating it. I thought he was referring to the leftovers, but apparently he meant going there when we're at his parents' house tonight. Ugh. I don't like the sauce, there are NO healthy options (the salad is a bowl of iceberg with fatty dressings)...he should know that I wouldn't want to eat there. Then I'm the picky one when we're there b/c I want somewhere I can get something healthy. However, since we always go to the same place, I don't have a clue what they have to eat in town, but he and his parents always expect me to pick since I'm being picky. I don't know anything about food in that town! *sigh* So tonight I expect a silent battle between DH and me. He will want me to speak up and pick something for dinner, but I don't even really know what the options are besides those same three places. I will want him to pick somewhere where I can get something healthy. If he doesn't speak up, we'll end up having the fallback options. And his parents just don't get it.

So it'll be a struggle to say the least. So I'm doing what I can without a refrigerator (I would take yogurt, lite string cheese, etc. otherwise) and taking oatmeal and veggies with me. What a pain it is, but it's better than if I just ate what they wanted, didn't really enjoy it anyway, and gained 2 pounds! I'll keep my chin up, try to make the best choices I can when I have a choice, and just watch portions otherwise. It's all I feel I can do at this point.

Ah....being healthy in an environment where others aren't...what a pain. Why can't I be naturally skinny or just be happy being over 200 pounds??? lol Right.

3 comments:

Manday said...

Can you research online what restaurants are in the area so you have an idea of where to go ready?

Allison said...

That's not a bad idea...I never thought about that--I'll do that to kill the last hour I have here at work! Thanks!

Baby McComb said...

Just randomly found this blog looking for OPK images on google, and read a few lines. Healthy ideas - granola bars, dried fruit & fruit leathers, and even yogurt. Pick up some of the shelf stable ones from Gerber in the baby section. Whole wheat crackers are great too.