Monday, September 21, 2009

Doctor Appt

We had an unexpected trip to the pediatrician this morning.

On Thursday evening I discovered that baby's belly button is sticking out. Not like an outie, but the whole thing. My godson had had an umbilical hernia and that's what I immediately recognized this as. I wasn't sure if there were other things it *could* be, though, so I called the pediatrician's office on Friday morning to see if they needed to see her before our 2 month appt on the 29th. They said it could wait.

Then Friday late afternoon I found a lump on the side of her neck while nursing. And I sort of freaked out. I did some searches online, though, and found some sites that suggested that it could be due to torticollis. Luckily (for me, not for her) a friend's daughter had been afflicted by this (this is also the same person who had a failed version attempt and scheduled C-section), so I knew this wasn't the end of the world and was able to relax a bit. I had previously noticed that the baby had been tilting her head one way and wouldn't turn her head quite as far to one direction as the other, so it all made sense. I called the pediatrician office Saturday morning to see if the lump was something that needed looked at over the weekend or if it could wait until Monday. The nurse confirmed that since DD wasn't acting sick (if she were, it could have been a swollen lymph node), it was probably a lump in the sternomastoid and could wait to be seen on Monday. So I made an appointment.

Dr. W. took a look at both the umbilical cord and the neck lump and confirmed my thoughts on both (after a consultation with one of his colleagues on the neck lump, just to be sure he was right in his thought that we needed an ultrasound on the muscle and not an ENT for a lymph node). We have an ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow morning. If the ultrasound tech confirms that the problem is muscular, we'll then need an x-ray to confirm the problem isn't with the spine, which will be needed before a PT will work with her. We have the paperwork to get the x-ray done at the same place while we're there.

Hopefully DD cooperates as well for the radiologists as she did for the doctor today :)

P.S. The bonus to going to the pediatrician today was that we found out that DD is a whopping 10 lbs 11 oz. Yay for great growing! She's still in the 50th percentile (when I heard 10 lbs 11 oz, I thought surely she would be at least in the 75th percentile!), but is a confirmation that we're doing a good job nourishing her. Mommy needs all the affirmation she can get.


tbonegrl said...

I will be praying for a good result. On a side note, kudos to you and a big cheer!!!

Danica said...

Praying for a good result. Keep us posted!

And yay for growing baby!

Andrea said...

I'm way behind on my reading, but wanted to sending ((HUGS)) and good thoughts for a good result even though I'm sure you've posted an update since :)