Thursday, September 10, 2009

Over the hump

(or maybe just a fluke)

I feel like we've gotten over a hump with Baby's sleeping. DH and I were truly frightened that we'd messed her up forever by letting her sleep on us, but it appears that we're doing alright :)

Last night, at exactly six weeks old, she slept for approximately 5 1/2 hours. Wow. Of course, it was the night that DH was going to let me try to sleep through the feeding by giving her a bottle...but since she'd slept so long, he thought he should wake me to pump (which he was right about). I was able to pump off enough to supplement the amount we had to give her and then some, which is great. She took the bottle like a champ and then...the best part...went right back to sleep and slept until 8 a.m. (had woken at 4).

I'm hoping this is the start of a trend. If it isn't, that's okay too, but what a wonderful night! We were all a lot happier for it--including her. Of course, yesterday she didn't get as much sleep as she typically would during the day. I don't know if that means we should start trying to keep her awake (she did eat for about 3 hours after Daddy came home and was fussy if she wasn't eating b/c she wouldn't let herself take a nap) or if we should just let it happen as it happens.

Also something we had happen the night before last...she put herself to sleep in her bed! We swaddled her, she fought it for about a minute, we soothed her, then laid her down with her eyes open. She grunted for about 3 minutes, but fell fast asleep soon after. What a relief! She then did it again for me in the morning after I fed her. How wonderful not to have to get her completely knocked out before putting her down in her crib...

Whew. Six weeks is all it takes, apparently (at least for THIS baby...). :) Daddy and I are beginning to feel human again and she's starting to get a bit more interactive. THIS is when it gets fun (I hope).

3 comments:

Jill said...

That's great news! I've heard good things about the 6 week mark and I'm glad that you are confirming them!

Mandy said...

Yay for sleep! And that's awesome that she put herself to sleep! I'm still afraid to try that. It seems to be just as easy to hold him until he completely falls asleep and then put him down. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'll just be running back to his room and starting over to make sure he's fully asleep anyway a few minutes later. But this gives me hope! I might have to try it.

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic! E still won't put herself to sleep....for some reason it always takes a boob to do the trick! I keep telling myself that no 12 year old requires a boob in their mouth to go to sleep so eventually she will put her self to sleep without using me for comfort!