Thursday, September 3, 2009

A few thoughts

No time to write a real blog post, so here are a few thoughts.
-----
Parenting is a big guessing game. Guessing what is best for your child. Guessing why your child might be screaming their head off.

I suck at guessing.
-----
Why does my daughter fight sleep so much? I love to sleep. Really. She hasn't had any good sleep today since 5 a.m. (some catnaps in the car). Was put to bed at 6:40 after DH calmed her b/c she was so obviously overtired. Swaddled her and put her down. Slept until 7. Now screaming her head off. Not just normal screaming, but the kind like we're hurting her. We're not.
-----
Had one month check-up on Monday. She her previous stats were: 19 inches long (25th percentile), 7lbs 5 oz (25th percentile), and head was in the 50th percentile. This appointment: 21 inches long (50th percentile), 9lbs 0oz (50th percentile) and head 38cm (75th percentile). Glad she's growing. My nipples feel the effects of all the eating that's getting her growing so well.
-----
Had her hip ultrasound today that was suggested at the hospital just to check and make sure everything was okay. Apparently it's normal to have it done for girl babies who were breech. Everything looked good.
-----
Still struggling horribly with the feeling that I can't do anything other than nurse DD. I'm incredibly grateful that I can do that. If I couldn't, I would feel fairly useless. DH is much better at diapers, fun time, calming, burping...pretty much everything but feeding (not that there's a choice there).
-----
DD and I had our first solo outing last Thursday. We went to the bank and she was kind enough to let me run through the drive through for some fast food.
-----
DD got her first bottle a couple of days ago. It took her a very long time to eat (we were trying to make it take more effort for her to eat to simulate being at the breast), but it eventually worked. DH tried to give her another today at the hospital and she didn't really want anything to do with it.

1 comment:

Liz said...

You'll get through it, promise! It's a rough road especially being first time parents. You're doing a fantastic job!!