Friday, October 2, 2009


Had another really rough night last night. We started bedtime routine and trying to get her to sleep around 9. By 10 DH had had enough rocking and I took over. I got her to fall asleep around 10:45 and took her upstairs. Within a couple of minutes, she was fussing again. DH and I both spent lots of time in her room until 11:45 when I decided to bring her back downstairs to rock some more. By this time, of course, she's overtired and starting to get hungry, I'm sure. But I got her to fall back asleep by 12:45. Took her back upstairs. Woke back up within 15 minutes. *sigh*

DH brings her in the bedroom (whenever I deal with her, I keep her in her room or take her downstairs so DH can sleep, yet when he's got her, he brings her in the bedroom...ugh) and asks, "What should we do with her?" I got upset (irrationally, exhaustedly so) and told him that if he just thought she needed to eat, I could have gotten up and taken care of it my (insert expletive here) self. I sat up, started feeding her, told DH to go to sleep. He stayed sitting up, but not doing anything useful. Told him to go to sleep again. 15 minutes later, she was sleeping.

DH took her to her room, laid her down, and she slept until 5 a.m. Not bad, but not great.

DH brings her back in the bedroom, I flood her with food (we only used one side the last feeding, so the left side hadn't been used since 8:30 p.m.), then once I finish feeding her, DH took her back to bed. She started fussing before he made it back to bed. Thankfully, he took care of her. Apparently she ended up staying up until close to 6:30 (when his alarm goes off at 6). He told me that he was getting in the shower and I would need to deal with her if she woke up. Luckily she didn't, but she didn't sleep soundly, either.

He left at 7 and I slept very lightly, listening to her squirming and groaning.

She was up for good around 8:45 and is now swaddled in her swing.

While I was feeding her this morning (at 8:45), I started trying to figure out what was different about last night as opposed to Tuesday and Wednesday night (as she had slept beautifully Tuesday and Wednesday nights--went down easily, slept for a good length of time, and went back to sleep after waking). All of a sudden, it dawned on me. Tuesday and Wednesday nights we had put a short sleeve onesie under her sleeper, but since the heat had caught up and her room was 72 degrees (and because everything I read says that overheating is a risk factor for SIDS), I didn't put anything under her sleeper. I think she might have been cold. We didn't think in the middle of the night to check her temperature, of course.

We'll be layering a lot from now on.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

So sorry to hear about the rough night. Hopefully she sleeps tonight so you two can catch up.

Who knows, maybe the sleeper was scratchy on the inside and she didn't like it close to her body. Babies are so weird sometimes.