Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hate this.

Here I sit in my recliner.  I was hoping to go to book club tonight, but I guess it's not going to happen now.

Baby girl was rubbing her eyes from the second we picked her up.  She just hasn't been napping well at the sitter's, which is leading to a shaky evening, at best.  We got take-out for dinner and got her home, fed her, and I sat down and nursed her.  She was closing her eyes while eating, so we figured she'd be sleepy right away.  After I was done nursing her, The Hubby scooped her up like normal, took her upstairs like normal, read her her story like normal, rocked her like normal...and then she fought it.  She wasn't interested in going to sleep early...or, really, at all.  He fought with her for about 15 minutes, twice laying her down only to have her wake back up and scream.  He eventually retreated downstairs.

We let her cry for five. long. minutes.  Longest five minutes of my life.  He soothed her, laid her back down.  She woke back up.  He came back downstairs and we sat and listened to her scream.  After awhile, he got back up to get her.  I told him I would go, but he just said he'd do it (not necessarily in the nicest way, though...).  She's up there screaming at him.  I know in my heart that she'd calm down better for me.  She's been really attached recently, you see.  I've been able to soothe her much more easily.  I want to go up and help him, to get her to calm down, but know I need to let him handle it.  Or do I?  Does he resent the fact that he's the one up there?  Will he feel undermined if I come up?  Or will he want the break?  I don't know what to do.

While I've been writing, though, she's calmed down.  I suspect he's tempted to spend the night in the rocking chair with her.  I know I would be.

What happened to my baby who, while she didn't sleep through the night, would at least go down without a fight in the evenings?  The last 4 nights have been horrible--her crying, me crying, lots of hair pulling, her pushing away from both of us, her chewing on her hand...  Like I've said before, I hope to hell this is teeth.  I've been hoping for teeth to be the answer for over 6 months now.  I'm so damned tired of this--this battle.  

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Sorry to hear it. If it's any consolation (and I doubt it is), when DS pushes away, he is tired, but fighting it. I'll have to listen to him cry after I set him down, but it's never more than 10 minutes and then he's out. I know you know that, though. I hope it's teeth too!

Cassie said...

I want to give you a big hug! I do not know how you've managed for this long. I think you're amazing, and I'm so ready for her to get those darn teeth already so you can hopefully get some sleep!

Sarah Dee said...

:( Hope that tonight is better. It seems when you blog about a bad night at your house we have one over here too.