Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Nearing the end?

I might be a bit melodramatic, but I fear that breastfeeding is coming to an end for us.  For the first 6 months or so back to work, I was getting 12-16 ounces a day, depending on if she ate overnight, etc.  I'm now down to 9-10 ounces and haven't experienced any real fullness in awhile.  No, it's not horrible and I'm fully able to keep up with her daytime needs by pumping before bed, but I just feel like it's going to be my body that falters before Baby Girl gives it up, which makes me so sad.  We both love our nursing time together and I know she's going to miss it when it's time.  Lots of people have been asking when I'd be done with nursing and I couldn't come up with a timeline--I wanted to keep nursing as long as Baby Girl would have it, but it seems like it's going to be my body that ends it.

Yes, I'm probably getting ahead of myself--she was fine over the weekend and didn't need bottles or anything, so it's not getting that drastic yet.  I'm just getting anxious, realizing that this phase of our journey is slowly coming to an end.  I'm fighting with all my might to hold on, though.  I'm pumping at least 3 times a day at work and once before bed at home.  I'm drinking my Mother's Milk tea, drinking lots of water, and eating as much oatmeal as I feel I can.  I just fear I'm fighting a losing battle--not that that's going to stop me.

No comments: