Monday, July 27, 2009


I'm going to rewind a bit here. Let's go back to Saturday. Saturday DH and I got some delicious ribs for dinner. Ribs and cornbread--can't get much better than that! We ate them at home and spent some night time together just relaxing around the house.

That night, I had to go to the bathroom multiple times in the middle of the night, only this time it wasn't to pee, if you get my drift. I had diarrhea until about 1:00 yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. Ick. DH was working outside, so I decided to go pillaging to get some basic household things we might need, plus the deals for the week. I walked around the store for no more than an hour and came home feeling a bit sore.

Once home, I cut DH's hair and then DH and I started watching some horrendous shows (we always get sucked into a marathon of some awful reality show). Around 5:30 he ran and picked up some Chinese for dinner. We ate, watched some more TV, did some other things around the house (nothing strenuous for me at all), then stretched out together on the couch.

Around 8:00 I started to get a bit of discomfort in the lower part of my stomach--sort of like light menstrual cramps (I say light because I had horrible ones growing up--I have no idea if these would be strong for other people). I sat up and felt a teeny bit better. As the evening progressed, I started to get more of a backache and the pain was radiating into my thighs, just like my menstrual cramps had been. I contacted a friend of mine who had just gone through labor and she confirmed that this was a lot like the beginning of her labor. Just what I didn't need to hear! haha I wasn't able to discern any sort of rhythm to the cramps, so I told her I was going to try to sleep and see if they got worse/more regular overnight.

Apparently my anxiety got the best of me because I didn't sleep long at all. After about an hour, I was awake (it was 1 a.m.) and trying to time these cramps. It didn't work too well, though, as it isn't like they're really painful or have a definite beginning to them. I was awake until about 3:30, then finally dozed. I woke up a few more times before my alarm went off at 6. I decided then that I needed to sleep a bit longer, so I called in and told them I'd be in around noon. I was able to sleep fairly solidly until about 9.

So here it is, 10:20, and I'm still having these cramps, but they don't seem to be gaining intensity or frequency (although I haven't been timing, so I'm not 100% sure). After chatting with another friend (who just happened to email and ask if I was having a baby today), I've called my doctor's office to confer with the nurse. Now just waiting for a call back (and really wanting to get in the shower, but don't want to miss the phone call!). Part of me thinks I might just be a paranoid first-time mommy. I haven't had any other labor symptoms--no bloody show, no mucus plug loss, can't tell if my uterus is actually contracting or not...

So this could be it...or maybe not. Either way, we'll have a baby by Wednesday, but it could be sooner.

1 comment:

Mrs. Hammer said...

How exciting! Keep us posted if you can.

P.S. At first when you mentioned ribs I thought you might have had a bout of Jazz-&-Rib-Fest-Revenge from this weekends festivities. I have sworn off eating ribs at the festival after three consectutive years of food poisoning. Yuck!