Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Healthy Food Ideas

Now that I'm back on the healthy eating wagon, I've been re-engineering the things that I eat.  I wanted to post two good finds that I came across.

Last night I was at Giant Eagle and found Thomas Bagel Thins.  The Hubby and I had them this morning and I found them really satisfying.  I had a small amount of cream cheese on it and it was a great 2 point breakfast!  There are 8 in the package and I think they were only like $3. 

For dinner last night I planned a vegetarian quesadilla.  The Hubby and I?  We're carnivores.  So something vegetarian doesn't typically go over real well for either of us and we end up needing to go get a McDonald's cheeseburger or something.  But I saw the idea on a blog and thought I'd give it a shot.  I had some leftover grilled veggies from the other night that I thought I could use.  I sauteed a BUNCH of mushrooms and some onion and wilted some spinach, then threw in the grilled veggies to heat them through.  Using these (I think--they were definitely the SoftWraps, which I would change next time), I put one tortilla loaded it with between 1/4 and 1/2 cup 2% cheddar cheese and a pile of veggies, then folded over the tortilla and used my quesadilla maker (hello wedding registry!) to make a tasty quesadilla.  I topped it with fat-free sour cream and some salsa and ate it with about 1/2 c. fat free refried beans.  What an incredibly tasty dinner for just 6 points!  Both The Hubby and I were completely full (of course, he had a two tortilla quesadilla, but whatever...) after this, giving us both a little more faith in vegetarian meals again.  We might try this again soon!

What are your favorite sneakily healthy foods?  Things that don't feel healthy to you, but are? 

4 comments:

Manday said...

I am on the weight loss train at the moment - though not weight watchers. What I really am looking for is easy low-carbohydrate snacks to keep around the house. I have found cutting calories surprisingly easy - power bar for breakfast, V8 for morning snack, lean pocket for lunch, maybe an afternoon snack or latte,this leave me LOADS of points for dinner and evening snacking, even if I go out or something.

Allison said...

Manday, what about veggies? I used to eat a ton when I was doing WW before. Or yogurt? I tried low carb and had a horrible time of it. I love fruit too much! I eat an apple every day and sometimes a banana or orange as well. Maybe some grapes...today I have some blueberries, too!

I couldn't make it on a Lean Pocket for lunch alone. I just had a hunk of pork chop and some Pringles and still need something else...

Sarah Dee said...

Frozen fruit is my favorite cheat. Yummy.

Amy said...

My list could be endless:
Kroger brand light yogurt (1 pt)
Hostess 100 calorie pack chocolate frosted cupcakes (you get 3 mini cupcakes for 1 pt!)
Thomas 100 cal or High Fiber English Muffins (1 pt)
PB2 (a peanut butter that comes in powder form and you just add water - 1 pt)
Kroger brand sugar-free strawberry preserves (2 Tbsp = 0 pts)
NEW Skinny Cow single-serve ice cream cups (trying them tonight! 2 pt)

Sooo many more! If you need recipes or help, let me know :) I highly recommend checking out the Fit & Active brand at Aldi's. They have a TON of good stuff.