Saturday, June 2, 2012

Hawaiian Turkey Burgers

...or an alternate title could be "What I Threw Together for Dinner".

The benefit to going to the grocery in the middle of the week has been getting meat on Manager's Special. When I go on Sundays there usually isn't anything in the case, but I've gotten boneless pork loin chops and ground turkey (93/7) for great prices recently. To further change things up, I went to the store without a list or meal plan for the first time in years. That was dumb! I need to go back to get ingredients to finish out some meals now, which is frustrating.

Anyway, I remembered the ground turkey that I put in the freezer last week and thought I'd do some turkey burgers, so I picked up buns. When I was working on dinner in my head, I thought of ways to jazz it up a bit. Below is the "recipe" I created.

Hawaiian Turkey Burgers

1 pound ground turkey
Teriyaki sauce, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
1 Vidalia onion
1 T butter
1 T honey
1 medium fresh pineapple
BBQ sauce, to taste
Hamburger buns

Combine first three ingredients in a medium bowl and form into four patties. Heat large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Preheat oven to low broil setting. Place patties in large preheated skillet. Melt butter and honey in small skillet and slice onion while you wait. Place onions in honey butter mixture and stir to coat. While onions and burgers are cooking, slice fresh pineapple. Stir onions frequently. When burgers are halfway done, flip them and cook on the other side. Once onions are carmelized, place in a bowl in the microwave to keep warm. Use small skillet to cook pineapple a bit. While pineapple is cooking, place buns (cut side up) on a cookie sheet in the oven. Remove once they start to toast. Assemble burgers and top with BBQ sauce. I served with corn on the cob.

(please excuse the instructions--this is my first time writing a recipe!)

4 comments:

Stef said...

I love Hawaiian turkey burgers and now this makes me want to make some!

Manday said...

where does the pineapple go? did i miss it?

Cassie said...

These sound delicious, Allison!

Allison said...

Apparently I didn't have a setting done right--sorry it was so hard to read!

Manday, the pineapple gets heated in the small frying pan, then put on the burger with the onions and BBQ sauce.