About Me

a mommy, a wife, a friend, a Buckeye, a worker, a chef, a perfectionist, stubborn, crafty...doing it all with a full heart.

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Our stupid fight

DH and I don't fight or argue much, but the other night it wasn't particularly pretty.

I had just made us a black bean pizza (SO yummy) and took it out of the oven and we were preparing to cut it and serve it. DH turned to me and asked "what kind of spice do we put it on it to spice it up?" And I snapped.

It seems that no matter what I cook, DH has to alter it in some way. It's just not good enough the way I cook it. I'm sure part of that is my own insecurities, but it frustrates me. Have I ever said anything to him in a calm, rational matter? Of course not--I honestly didn't think it frustrated me *that* much. But that night, it did. So I snapped at him and dropped a few f-bombs and he got upset and asked if I really felt like he was insulting my cooking by putting extra spices on everything and I told him yes and he, like a petulant child, said he'd never add spice to my cooking again. We sat in silence for a few minutes, then had a normal conversation about whatever was on TV and all was ok again.

Now I know I overreacted. And really, it all blows over just fine with us when we do argue, so it's not something I need to dwell on, but I started thinking about it again this morning. I know DH likes his food spicier than I do. So if we're having something that is otherwise spicy (chili...pretty much anything Mexican), it's okay that he adds something spicy to just "kick it up a notch". But when we're having something that has specific amounts of foods and things...and still insists on adding things to it without even trying it, it makes me feel like he assumes nothing I make could be good enough for him. And that sucks. I think I'll try my best to explain this to him sometime soon, just so he can see where I'm coming from, to avoid future arguments like that.

1 comment:

the author said...

Oh, I have been there and it's no fun. Just wanted to say it's not just you, and I understand how the tiniest things can make you feel slighted, but explaining this to the DH is nearly impossible.