Saturday, March 19, 2011

Amazed

I always thought of this song in the context of a romantic relationship, but for the first time tonight I started thinking about my little girl:

Every little thing that you do

Baby, I'm amazed by you
I just laid on the floor this evening, watching her play with her blocks.  She kept repeating "Really. Tall." (because she still doesn't really string together phrases--they're all separate words).  Then she'd randomly list people she knows.  "Grandma.  Papaw.  Grandma.  Pots.  Mommy.  Daddy." 

And then she'd get silly.  She'd decide it was time to climb on Mommy and jump on my belly. 

Then she'd grab a tissue, ball it up, hold it to her nose and say "HONNNNNK", giggle and say "Daddy", because that's how Daddy blows his nose.  But then she came over to let me blow my nose.  And then she pressed the tissue to my ears, my knees, my feet, my back, my chin, my nose, my eyeballs, my hair, naming each one as she went, and said, "HONNNNNNNK".  Then she helped Minnie blow her nose.

And I just laid there.  Watching.  Amazed.  Watched as she tooted and said, "toot!"  Watched as her tower of blocks toppled and she'd just start anew, unfazed.  Watched as she found an old fishy under the edge of the couch and ate it (whoops....).  Watched as she laid her head down on the same pillow as mine.  Watched as she gently came over, laid down, and wrapped her arms around my neck and said, "hug". 

I watched her hair that has a very slight curl, especially after being in the rain today.  I watched those eyes, so full of wonder, light, and excitement.  I watched those fingers, still so very small, but so much bigger than they used to be.  Watched those lips form words.  Words that are far beyond her age. 

She just amazes me.  It's so hard for me to believe that this little person came from ME.  She's so incredibly beautiful, so smart, so sweet.  I'm so very blessed to have her in my life and cannot help but be amazed by her.  Baby, I'm completely amazed by you.

4 comments:

Cassie said...

I love this post so much. She sounds like such a special, amazing little girl.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post.

D said...

You're an amazing mom! Graham makes me think of "Every Little Thing (she) Does" by the Police, because he truly is a magical little guy. :)

Unknown said...

i loved reading this! she sounds like such a special little girl and i can only hope that one day i'll be able to meet you both and introduce the birthday twins to each other. :)