Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thrifty Thursday--Making Money

In honor of my missing Thrifty Thursday posts over the last few months, I'm giving you a MEGA post!  Hope you enjoy!



Every little bit helps, right?  Well, I'm going to tell you today about little things you can do to make a bit of money.  It may not seem like much, but it adds up over time.
----
Product Rewards

Do you drink Coca-Cola products?  If so, sign up at My Coke Rewards, where you can enter in the codes you find inside the caps of bottles and inside the cardboard packages of 12, 20, and 24 packs of cans.  You can use the points you get to buy all sorts of products--I've got my eye on a programmable crockpot!

To get extra codes, I've done the following:
  • I've started to solicit co-workers, who bring me their caps and flaps and I put in their codes as well. 
  • The Hubby and I used to walk around after sporting events and take caps off of 20 oz bottles of Coke around the stadium.  We would fill up an entire popcorn box (or our pockets) in just a few minutes!  (And then we washed our hands.  Three times.)
  • I also ask family to give me caps and flaps
  • I know people who go through neighbors' recycling bins on the day it's picked up and take flaps off their boxes.  We don't have recycling in our neighborhood, but I'd probably consider it if we did!
You can do the same thing with Pepsi!  I'm not much of a Pepsi drinker, so I haven't joined this site, but it looks comparable to My Coke Rewards.
    ----
    Buy diapers?  Both Huggies and Pampers have programs that reward you for buying their products.  You just find the code on the product and enter it online.  The nice bonus is that there are frequently extra codes available that aren't one-time use (the ones on the products are one-time use only) that will bolster your points balance.  The Frugal Girls keeps a running list of codes for Pampers and here's a master list of Huggies codes that I've found.

    When you get enough points, you can redeem them for toys or gift cards (refer to their rewards catalogs for more information)
    ----
    Surveys

    Join survey sites!  I've belonged to quite a few of them over the past few years and have deposited quite a few checks and used a lot of gift cards.  Here are a few:

    Opinion Outpost (earned $50 from them and haven't done hardly any surveys recently)
    Test Spin (have $24 ready to cash out)
    Toluna
    Pinecone (you have to keep on the lookout for a banner asking people to join--it's more selective, but a great company to work with)
    Survey Saavy
    ----
    GPT (get paid to) sites

    These are a little trickier, but fun to do.  You just click through some ads, enter your information (I got an email account just for these since they like to spam you) and make some money.  I made a lot of money one year doing this.  I think it's a bit less lucrative now, but still something fun to do :)

    My two favorite:

    Cash Duck
    Treasure Trooper
    ----
    Click-through emails

    These sites send you emails (so get a separate account specifically for them!) and you just click on a link in the email to note that you've read it and earn money (or points, which is the case with My Points). 

    My Points (no referral link, but just leave a comment if you'd like a referral--if not, just join on your own :))
    Send Earnings (have about $23 to cash out from them right now)
    Inbox Dollars (have gotten about a $30 payout previously from them and you get $5 just for signing up)
    ----
    Cash Back Shopping

    Use these sites when you're doing online shopping--you get money back just for buying the things you were going to buy anyway.  I've saved a ton of money using these!  The GPT sites also have cash back shopping as well.

    Shop at Home (you get $5 with your first purchase)
    Ebates
    My Points
    ----
    Search Sites

    Swagbucks--this is my favorite site right now.  You go to this site instead of Google (although in the interest of full disclosure, I actually get better results from Google, so if you don't find it on Swagbucks, go to Google) and earn Swagbucks for some of your searches.  They also offer Swagcodes that you can enter onto the site for extra Swagbucks (if you send me your email address after you join, I can email you all the Swagcodes I get sent to me).  The best reward on this site is Amazon gift cards--I've redeemed my Swagbucks for 22 $5 Amazon gift cards.

    Swagbucks also has surveys and clickable offers that can earn you even more Swagbucks!

    2 comments:

    Cassie said...

    These are such good ideas! I'm going to do some of these things...It's like free money!

    Brandis said...

    Wow, girl! You keep yourself busy ;)