Thursday, November 20, 2008

Healthy Recipe Thursday

I've decided on another new feature for my blog--Healthy Recipe Thursday! I have tons of great recipes that I'd love to share. I thought about doing a whole healthy recipe blog, but decided just to make it a feature here.

For my first healthy recipe, I thought it was only fitting to talk about cake. I could honestly eat cake every single day and be happy. So I want to share a great thing with all of you trying to watch what you eat: The Diet Coke Cake

Ingredients:
1 can Diet Coke
1 box chocolate cake mix

Mix in a mixing bowl and bake as you usually would (or, better yet, put it in a microwaveable bowl and microwave it for about 9 minutes).

That's it! No eggs, no water--just the Diet Coke and a cake mix. The calories will totally depend on how big your portions are and what kind of cake mix you use, but to calculate the nutritional information, just take it directly from the cake mix (making sure you're watching the portions given for the mix).

Another variation that I tried was white cake mix with Sprite Zero. I've also heard that you can play with different flavors of diet soda to spice it up a little.

I made this the other night, thinking I would do a chocolate cake. So I poured the Diet Coke (caffeine free, of course) into the bowl and went for my cake mix. No chocolate to be found...so we used white cake. It was a little gray, but tasted the same!

Enjoy!

Things I'm grateful for today:
- My boss is gone so I feel a teeny bit less pressure to work my tail off
- I get to go volunteer tonight and make a difference in some people's lives
- I also get to see some of my favorite people at Book Club

3 comments:

Liz said...

Another one for you to try:
Orange Crush
FF Whipped Cream
Mandarin Oranges

Mix and bake just like the Diet Coke. Top with whipped cream and oranges. YUM.

Unknown said...

I love this cake. You can also do Spice Cake, 1 c. Pumpkin and 1 c. water. I always top with pudding and cool whip (just use 1 c. milk instead of 2). Great idea for your blog!

Erin said...

this cake is SOOO good! I also love to do it with diet cherry coke. YUM!