About Me

a mommy, a wife, a friend, a Buckeye, a worker, a chef, a perfectionist, stubborn, crafty...doing it all with a full heart.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

Like everyone other person across the blogosphere (or so it seems), I want to wish you all a Happy Valentine's Day.

Valentine's Day isn't really a holiday we make a big deal out of in our household.  Sure, I love loving my husband and telling him how much I love him, but I don't need this special day to do it.  I definitely don't need overpriced flowers or the hassle of crowds and reservations for dinner.  In the past (even before kids) we've cooked nice dinners at home and generally just enjoyed some time with each other.  I wear a ring almost daily that The Hubby got me on our first Valentine's Day--10 years ago today.  He didn't know at that time that the gemstone would match our first child's birthstone (a ruby)--he was just going for the Kay special!

Special days this year have been a bit of a bust for us.  Our fifth anniversary came and went last June without much ado, as we chose instead to spend that weekend celebrating the collective 30th birthdays of our close-knit group of college friends and just never remembered to plan something else.  My birthday was when I was feeling some morning sickness and wasn't able to enjoy the food.  So it just seems fitting that both The Hubby and I are under the weather and busy all day on Valentine's Day.

We did, however, make time to go to lunch together.  We split a $5 footlong at Subway--romantic, right?  We both agreed that it matches our personalities perfectly and that it's a great thing that we didn't make big plans and then end up sick.  We'll spend the evening with the product of our love taking her to swimming lessons.  Because of the time of the lessons, we can't get back to the house to cook, so we'll be eating out again tonight.  Baby Girl made a special request for dinner--"Mc-Dack-Donalds"--which I think we'll fulfill.  I also have a coupon for a local restaurant, but The Hubby is skeptical whether we'll be able to get in and out of there quickly enough on Valentine's Day, so we'll likely defer that choice until next week (the coupon expires next week).

So there you go--my thoughts on Valentine's Day.  Whether you celebrate with a $100 per plate dinner or nothing at all, I hope you tell the people in your life how much you love and appreciate them.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

You and C sound so much like me and Joe. We're not big on the big gestures -- just the little ones throughout the year. Mc-Dack-Donalds (or, "Old McDonalds" in our house) sounds like a perfectly lovely Valentine's Day dinner.

Happy Valentine's Day to my best internet buddy!! :)