Monday, January 26, 2009

Can't Stop Eating...

I know I've waited for a long time for an excuse to NOT care about how much I eat, but I still worry about getting scolded for gaining too much weight too quickly (I was only told to gain 10-15 pounds over the course of this pregnancy). So now I'm paranoid. But I'm also HUNGRY. And I KNOW I need to feed the baby if I'm hungry, so I do, but it still makes me feel guilty. I feel ESPECIALLY guilty when I'm eating things like egg rolls, crab rangoons, and sweet & sour chicken. lol But at least dessert was a Smart Ones! I'm trying here--really I am--but I just can't stop eating right now. It's to the point where I don't think I should be the one going to the grocery because we're spending WAY too much b/c I end up walking out with $20 in impulse buys. With a list.

I try sticking to the list, but then those Doritos are calling my name. And then there's the gummy fruit slices that I've been craving ALL weekend. And I want some more cheesy dip, so we'd better get some of that. By the time we get to the checkout I've got over $100 in groceries, which is a lot of money for us to spend at the grocery. But we're going to venture to the grocery again today because I'm out of produce and need to get in my fruits and veggies...wish me luck not eating the entire place!

5 comments:

Jill said...

Crab Rangoons?!?! I love those things (and I don't want to be THAT person) but isn't there something about crab meat that you shouldn't eat while you are pregnant? Hopefully I'm wrong. Those things are so good and so addicting! :)

Allison said...

I thought about that when ordering but figured: 1) crab doesn't have a high level of mercury (the biggest concern for seafood) and 2) there's so little crab in those pre-made frozen ones (and I only had 2 and gave DH 3) that I figure that much mercury won't do anything anyway ;)

Some people eat tuna while pg and lots of doctors say one serving per week is okay and that's one of the seafoods that does contain a higher level of mercury.

I do appreciate the concern (and don't worry about being "THAT person" ) ;)

Julie D said...

Who told you to only gain 10 to 15 lbs? That isn't even healthy for the baby! Think of it like this, a normal sized baby is about 8 lbs., a placenta is about 2 lbs, so there is 10 of it right there, not including amniotic fluid etc. If your doctor is saying 10 to 15 lbs I would SERIOUSLY question that.

I just found this:

Baby: 7 to 8 pounds
Larger breasts: 1 to 3 pounds
Larger uterus: 2 pounds
Placenta: 1 1/2 pounds
Amniotic fluid: 2 pounds
Increased blood volume: 3 to 4 pounds
Increased fluid volume: 2 to 3 pounds
Fat stores: 6 to 8 pounds

So you're looking at a minimum of 24 to 31 lbs that you cannot help but gain.

You need to talk to your doctor...

Mrs. Hammer said...

I work for WIC (Women, Infants and Children) and we monitor weight gain in pregnancy as well as give nutrition for pregnancy, breastfeeding.

Weight gain in a pregnancy is based upon a woman's pre-pregnancy weight. So yes, it is healthy for a woman to only gain 10 to 15 lbs depending upon where she started out at with her weight. The if you only gain 10 to 15 lbs your body will convert your stored fat into energy to make all those important things Julie listed out. You will technically loose body fat weight and replace it with baby. If you do that then you will end up at a better postpartum weight once you deliver i.e. LESS TO LOSE! :) And breastfeeding is GREAT for weightloss so if you haven't thought about it, keep it in mind. When you breastfeed the mechanism in your body for storing fat is turned off! So awesome.

I would try looking for foods that are filling i.e. bulky but lower in calories. Although it's hard with food cravings I'm sure!! Try eating whole grains like oatmeal, whole wheat bread, brown rice (you can get it at PF Changs :) and add in low fat protein rich foods like low fat milk, low fat cheese and yogurt. And of course your beloved fruits and veggies. Peanut butter is an excellent food AND there is a nutrient in peanut butter (choline) that help with absorption of folic acid.

If you have a combination of a whole grain and low fat protein with each meal or snack it might help to keep your blood sugar more stable and keep hunger at bay, plus there are great nutrients in those foods for your baby.

Sorry for the long post, I just love talking about this stuff - it's what I do all day. If you have any other questions: kstone187 at yahoo dot com.

Julie said...

UGH - had a big comment and lost it.

10-15 is not enough. Is your OB taking into account all the weight you've already lost? I gained 30, and my OB was happy with my weight gain. Don't be the girl that worries about her weight gain all through her pregnancy!

Crab is on the okay list. There's no worries with eating it - just ask Amelia who had me eating crab cakes all through my pregnancy! :)

Tuna is on the list of stuff that should be limited, but not avoided altogether. 1 can/week is the rule.