About Me

a mommy, a wife, a friend, a Buckeye, a worker, a chef, a perfectionist, stubborn, crafty...doing it all with a full heart.

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

A letter on your first birthday

Baby Girl,

How can I begin to thank you for all you've done for me over the last year?  It may sound odd for a parent to thank their child, but that's what I'm doing.  You have taught me so much in the last 365 days.  You've taught me what true love is, what it's like to love another person more than you love anything else.  You've taught me things about myself that I never knew, some good and some bad, but always a blessing. 

You are such a beautiful little girl, physically and emotionally.  You have the biggest, brownest eyes that always have a sparkle in them.  They tend to reveal what you're feeling, much like your mommy's.  You love fiercely, like I've never witnessed from someone so small.  You give hugs and kisses freely, wrapping your sweet little arms around my neck and opening your mouth wide to engulf my cheek in your wet, warm mouth.  You also love to give hugs and kisses to other children, tackling them many times, trying to show them how much you love them and you even give kisses to babies in books and the baby in the mirror.

I love that you love people so much.  You give smiles (after you're done investigating) and waves and even scream "HI!" at random people whereever we go.  I hope you'll always be as friendly as you are (although you could probably hold off on the flirting with men in uniform).  Everyone is charmed by you and wants to be with you.  We're told every time we go out how beautiful you are and we just nod because we know it's true. 

You are smarter than I ever could have dreamed.  We see you learning every single day and you seem to be reasoning at a level far beyond your age.  Your daddy and I are always amazed at what you seem to comprehend.  I always feared that my expectations of you would be too high, but now I fear they won't be high enough!  Keep learning, little one, and maintain that love of books.  Both will serve you well for the rest of your life. 

I look forward to seeing the little girl you become, but please don't grow up too quickly on me!  You're already becoming so independent, always wanting to do things yourself and getting frustrated when Mommy and Daddy slow you down.  Keep on smiling and the world will smile with you.

I love you more than words can ever say, but I've done the best I can to express myself.  You make me proud every single day to call myself your mommy.  Thank you for answering my prayers by coming into our life one year ago today.

All my love,
Mommy

5 comments:

Mandy said...

That was very touching. She is lucky to have you for a mommy.

Cassie said...

This is beautiful, Allison. Happy, happy birthday to your amazing little girl!

Anonymous said...

Very beautifully written!

Unknown said...

Love it! Hope she had a great birthday!

Rhiannon said...

So sweet! :)