Thursday, September 2, 2010

Just a little bit different

It's that time again...it's the most wonderful time of the year, and I'm not talking about the Christmas season!  It's the beginning of college football!

I am not your average, run-of-the-mill football fan.  Oh no, I fully advocate the setting up of FOUR (yes...FOUR) TVs in our living room.  I am the one that comes up with the viewing schedule on Saturdays so we know which games should be on which TVs.  I could rattle off the starting lineup for the Buckeyes and typically most of the backups.  I can talk intelligent football with almost any man (I struggle a bit with specific plays and blocking schemes).  I was the one to run all of our football prediction pools, counted down the days until Saturday, spent the day from 10 a.m. until 1 a.m. with at least one TV on ESPN (gotta watch College Gameday!)

But not this year.  This year, something is...different.  Today, the first day of Buckeye football, I feel the energy, the excitement, the electricity.  But until today, I felt...not much.  I think considered *gasp* going and doing something on Saturday instead of watching football.  I also consciously realized that I might fall asleep at the end of the Buckeye game tonight (I haven't missed any major chunk of any games since 1998).  And that's when I realized that there has been a major shift in priorities...and I'm not sure I like it.  Having already been through one football season with a baby, I knew there would be times that I'd have to choose the baby over football (especially non Buckeye football), but now that she's older and actually needs entertained...that shift seems eminent.  And I'm pretty pissed off about that.

For some reason, this is the hardest shift in priorities that I've experienced.  Is it hard not being able to go anywhere with my husband after 7 p.m.?  Yep.  Is it tough knowing I'm not going to sleep through the night unless the baby does?  You betcha.  But miss my Buckeye football?  Oh hellz no. 

It'll be interesting to see what this season brings.  Tonight is the easy game--Baby Girl will be going to bed around kickoff, so I'll just pause the TV until The Hubby is done putting her down--but subsequent games might be tough.  We might end up shipping her off somewhere--something that we haven't considered doing for any other event. 

Hmmm...football or the baby?  That truly is a tough decision!!!  But I have a feeling I know which one I'll choose...and she'll give me a big hug and a kiss on the lips (or a whine and a pinch of my nose) to thank me.

3 comments:

Cassie said...

Oh, I totally wouldn't blame you for sending her off to her grandparents' or something while the games are on. I think no matter how hard we try, we lose a part of ourselves when we become mothers, and it sounds like you REALLY don't want to lose the part of you that is crazy about college football! Nor should you have to.

And remember: It'll only be for a couple of years. When she's four or five, she'll be old enough to watch with you, and you'll be able to teach her all about football. And that? Will be AWESOME. I can't wait to do that with the boys!

In the meantime, go Bucks! O-H!

Anonymous said...

Go Bucks!!!! I so love this time of the year!

Sarah Dee said...

so you're choosing football, right?