Monday, June 6, 2011

Couch to 5K Update

Even though we've been doing this for three or four months now, we've just moved onto week #5.  Since The Hubby and I are doing this together, we also need to take Baby Girl with us, which means the weather has to be okay and she needs to not be too cranky.  And it has to be before her bedtime (it would be nice to be able to go running around 8 or 9 now that Central Ohio has turned on Summer, but she's in bed at that point).

We're taking it slow, but this run was a HUGE ramp-up from Week #4 Day #3 (there are 3 running days per week).  You can see the whole plan here.

We went from jogging for no longer than 3 minutes (alternating with 90 second jogs) to jogging for three separate 5 minute stretches!  For someone who has never been good at or liked running, that's a big difference.

But you know what?  I finished it.  And I'm really damn proud of myself for it.  I posted it on Facebook and was so excited by the comments I got (including a "like" from the guy I dated before The Hubby who loved to run and I think always wanted me to run with him).  It also reminded me, though, of how much I've changed since college.  I can't really explain it, but I could feel the judging non-comments from some of my college Facebook friends who I participated in athletic activities with and who used to judge me for being bigger at that point and it made me self-conscious about how much weight I've gained (and lost and gained and lost and gained....) since then. 

And then I stopped feeling that way and realized that I'm living my life the way that makes me happy now.  And I'm doing something that good for me and I should be proud!  So I am.  Who cares where I came from or how I got here--I'm here and I'm trying to make myself better.  So you know what?  Go me!

3 comments:

Cassie said...

YES! Go you indeed! I'm really ridiculously happy for you. :)

brandis of HEARTdot™ said...

LOVE this post and your attitude, girl. go get 'em! :) it sounds silly, but i am like way totally proud of you! xx

Anonymous said...

Go you!! That is so awesome. :)