Wednesday, June 1, 2011

More sickness

I've been debating about how to relay this and have decided to make it its own blog post rather than combining with Memorial Day (which may or may not get written...) and with Baby Girl's surgery post (which will come very soon).

If you don't want to hear some TMI stuff about bodily functions, stop reading now.  You've been warned.

To get to my parents' house we take a very windy, hilly road and I may or may not have been going a little fast on it this past Saturday.  You see, there is typically a semi or some other slowpoke in front of me, preventing me from even going 55 mph, so when I get the chance to cruise, I typically take it.  We were driving along, having a nice car ride, when Baby Girl got sick.  The Hubby was riding in the passenger seat and leaned back to comfort her while I found a good place to pull over.  We stopped and got her cleaned up and as we were stopped we realized there was a State Highway Patrollman (woman) about 100 feet away with someone pulled over.  As we were consoling Baby Girl and letting her walk a little bit, the patrol-person came over to see if we were okay.  We assured her we were as she ran our plates, probably checking to be sure we hadn't stolen this little girl :)  After she confirmed that we hadn't, she gave me the best route (or, rather, I technically asked her if X would be the best route) back to a smoother road.  We loaded up a naked baby, headed back to that road and the rest of the weekend went smoothly.  Baby Girl didn't eat as well as she typically does but I just rationalized that it was a toddler-ism, not that she was sick.  I figured she had gotten sick because of the car or maybe from the snot in her belly (yes...another cold....), not any sort of stomach virus.

Fast forward to Monday night.  Around dinner time I started to feel nauseous.  I ate my dinner but had to force down the second piece of corn on the cob (it was really good corn for late May!).  As the evening went on, I felt increasingly sick.  Around the time The Hubby and I went to bed, I was feeling much worse and ended up getting sick.  I came out of the bathroom and told him he'd better go sleep somewhere else.  He'd had no idea that I'd gotten I guess that's good.  I didn't get sick again but was up throughout the night feeling nauseous and going to the bathroom, if you know what I mean.  Whenever I was awake I was just praying that I'd feel good enough to go to Baby Girl's surgery--I was NOT missing it.  It was pretty bad but I did get to sleep from 2:30 to 5:15, which was when The Hubby woke me up to head to the surgery center.  I took some Kaopectate (that stuff works seriously well--I'll never take Immodium again) and we left.  I felt nauseous all day and didn't really eat a whole lot, but didn't get sick or anything anymore (thank goodness).  I did end up falling asleep with Baby Girl sitting with me on the couch and then napped while she napped.  I was awake long enough to hang out with her a bit and try to eat some dinner and then went upstairs after not feeling well after dinner.  I ended up laying down and slept from about 7 until the alarm went off this morning at 6:30.  Wow.  I woke up intermittently, of course, to say goodnight to Baby Girl, to talk to The Hubby, and to feel nauseous (but never had to get out of bed).  I still feel exhausted and somewhat nauseous, but am finally getting some water and food into my system and am back at work today. 

Ugh.  And now I'm just praying that The Hubby doesn't get it.  It's not as bad as it could be, but it's not fun, either.  We're heading out of town this weekend and I know the after-effects would last that long if he gets it now.  Can we please be done with sickness?  Seriously.  It's June.


Cassie said...

Oh no, Allison, I'm so sorry. I was wondering why you were so quiet and now I know. Darnit. It sucks that you got sick again, but I'm glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. And yes -- I think it's about time for everyone to finally be WELL for a change. It's summer! (Well, almost.)

I hope everything went well with Baby Girl's surgery. I didn't even know she was getting tubes. But I hope she's finally getting some relief from her ear infections, poor thing.

brandis of HEARTdot™ said...

hi beautiful! i am sorry to hear that you and baby girl have been sick :( thats just horrible. i am praying for lots of healthiness to come your way soon. and i had no idea E was getting tubes. i will be saying prayers for her too and hope that it works, she sleeps better and can be comfy, without those ear infections. (hugs)